Twenty PhD Positions are available in the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Funded Project on Pro-poor Sanitation Innovations, named "Stimulating local innovation on sanitation for the urban poor in sub-Saharan Africa and South-East Asia".
UNESCO-IHE, The Netherlands, and the following partners: Makerere University in Uganda, KNUST in Ghana, AIT in Thailand, 2iE in Burkina Faso, ITB in Indonesia, UCT in South Africa, UFMG in Brasil, and Univalle in Colombia were awarded a US$8 million grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
PhD position information
- The positions are based at the premises of the 8 project partners.
- The PhD fellow will report to the professor in charge at the host academic institution.
- The PhD position is funded on a fellowship arrangement in accordance with standard practice applied at host institutions;
- Expected starting date is early 2012;
- Duration of the assignment is maximum 4 years;
- The PhD fellow will have high degree of involvement in execution of the research package assigned to the host institution under this project
- The PhD fellow will be awarded the doctoral degree by the host institution.
- The list of 5 research themes and number of PhD positions per partner and research theme is shown in table below.
- Candidates should be young researchers from developing country, preferably from sub‐Saharan Africa and South‐East Asia, however researchers from other developing regions are encouraged to apply;
- Candidates must have a Master degree in a discipline relevant to the research themes, e.g. sanitary engineering, civil engineering, environmental sciences, environmental engineering, biochemistry, biotechnology etc.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong interest and experience in conducting and managing experimental and interdisciplinary sanitation-related research;
- Applicants with pronounced affinity for laboratory and/or practical research and fieldwork will be preferred;
- The applicant must be proficient in English and have developed communication and writing skills;
- Applicants for the position in Brasil must originate from Portuguese-speaking African countries (PALOP).
How to apply?
Damir Brdjanovic, PhD
PO Box 3015
2601 DA Delft
Tjandra Setiadi, PhD
Labtek X Building
JI. Ganesha No. 10
Neil Armitage, PhD
Private bag X3
Thammarat Koottatep, PhD
PO Box 4, klong Luang
Esi Awuah, PhD
Department of Civil Engineering
Private mail bag
University Post Office
KNUST – Kumasi
Amadou Hama Maiga, PhD
01 BP 594
Frank Kasiime, PhD
PO Box 7062
Marcos von Sperling, PhD
Av. Antonio Carlos, 6.627 – Campus Pampulha
Escola de Engenharia – Bloco 1 – Sala 4622
31270-901 – Belo Horizonte – Mina Gerais